TOWERS Media is expanding coverage in Dallas and is looking for local, independently minded “new urbanists” who can craft and contextualize stories covering real estate development, transit, and city planning efforts for our readers.
This is an exciting paid opportunity for a passionate writer who is searching for a robust platform to “spread the gospel” about compact-and-connected living to an interested and engaged readership. Write about what you love, work independently, and get paid to do it!
The ideal candidate will be able to evidence:
- Journalism experience
- Appreciation for skyscrapers and architecture
- Genuine interest in urbanism and topics important to urbanists;
- Tools, sources, and investigative capabilities to seek out stories about real estate development, real estate development practices / policies;
- Expert level familiarity with Dallas neighborhoods
- An authentic “voice” (perhaps you live in downtown Dallas, or live car free, or serve your neighborhood association);
- Understanding of SEO and social media marketing and willingness to use personal social media platforms to share content;
- Ability and willingness to take editorial positions when appropriate, while also being able to balance other reasonable perspectives;
- Self-starter attitude and a fast-paced energy;
- Willingness to receive editorial feedback and align with TOWERS editorial voice.
- You appreciate a compact and connected lifestyle, you might have a copy of Jane Jacobs “The Death and Life of Great American Cities” on your bookshelf, and you appreciate the work of Congress for the New Urbanism.
It should go without saying that the ideal candidate will be a strong writer who is able to find interesting and relevant content to write about on a regular basis.
We strive for journalistic ideals, but this is a blog, and when it makes sense to do so we will be advocates and take positions. The ideal candidate understands that balance.
The ideal candidate already has a few sources and knows how to uncover real estate news. Your voice should be passionate and authentic (e.g. if you live and work in the suburbs, then this role will not be a good fit). Perhaps you live in downtown Dallas, or live car-free, or serve your neighborhood association.
In this role, you will receive a bunch of PR requests. Sometimes those are useful, especially if you can get scoops early. Other times, you’ll need to know when and how to diplomatically say “not interested.”
- Delivering a mix of interesting and informed blog posts, researched stories, and editorializing 3rd party news, at a minimum rate of three postings per week.
- Strive to be the first story on a topic before any other outlet
- Be able to offer comment and opinion if asked by a 3rd party media outlet for a quote
- Draft the weekly newsletter covering the prior week’s news
- Respond to comments on your posts
- Co-manage TOWERS Dallas’ Facebook and Twitter feeds
- Work from an editorial calendar
About TOWERS Media:
TOWERS Media has been publishing noteworthy, informative editorial content about city life and urbanist culture with a real estate development slant in Austin, Texas, since 2007, through two flagship sites – AustinTowers.net/news and DowntownAustinBlog.org. We have organically built a large and engaged following in this market, and are looking to apply the same proven techniques and practices to build the same readership in other Texas markets.
* Links to writing samples and/or twitter should be provided when applying. We are looking to see that you can connect with readers.
**The first 90 days you will be engaged as a part-time contractor with pay-per-post compensation. If everything is going swimmingly, and you can produce on a full-time editorial calendar, then we may offer a full-time employment position.
Professional writing experience is required for this position. Please include links/samples in your application.
Email your credentials and resume to dallas [@] towers.net